What is the Bosch IoT Hub?
The Bosch IoT Hub allows you to easily and securely connect devices through various protocols to IoT applications. Using the cloud service, IoT applications can retrieve telemetry data from devices (device-to-cloud communication) either with or without guaranteed delivery and send command and control messages to devices (cloud-to-device communication).
Application developers are searching for a simple and easy-to-use solution for connecting devices to their applications. As the IoT is characterized by device heterogeneity and diversity, a wide range of IoT protocols (from HTTP to MQTT to LPWAN protocols) need to be supported. Another important topic in the IoT context is ensuring secure device connectivity – from transport layer security for communication to per-device authentication including management of device credentials.
The Bosch IoT Hub is a fully managed cloud service of the Bosch IoT Suite and offers all of this functionality out of the box. It provides a uniform device API to your application to connect devices regardless of which IoT protocol they use. The pluggable architecture means that even proprietary protocols can be supported using custom protocol adapters. The Bosch IoT Hub application lets developers focus on implementing the business logic of their IoT applications rather than dealing with device connectivity issues.
Key features of the Bosch IoT Hub
- Communication patterns: Full support for device-to-cloud and cloud-to-device communication distinguishing between different communication patterns:
- Telemetry for processing device-generated data in a highly scalable manner
- Events for guaranteed delivery of messages that devices send to your application
- Command and control for changing device configuration or triggering actions on devices
- Gateway support: Support for gateway-based scenarios to connect devices using non-IP-based protocols
- Protocol support: Interact with devices that use the MQTT, HTTP, LoRaWAN, and Bosch IoT Messaging protocols. For LoRaWAN-enabled devices, several LoRa network providers are supported.
- Device identities and credentials: Management of device identities and credentials to connect devices in a secure manner.
- Security: Authentication and authorization on a per-device level supporting different authentication schemes.
- Related Bosch IoT Suite services: The Bosch IoT Hub provides out-of-the-box support for connecting devices running Bosch IoT Gateway Software. It sends device data to Bosch IoT Things, where a digital twin of the physical device is stored.
- Open source foundation: The Bosch IoT Hub comprises open source components developed in the Eclipse IoT ecosystem and other communities, and uses Eclipse Hono™ as its foundation. Other open source projects used in the Bosch IoT Hub include EnMasse, Eclipse Leshan™, and Eclipse Californium™.
- Available on: The Bosch IoT Hub is offered as a fully managed, shared cloud service on Amazon Web Services.
Service plans at a glance
The Bosch IoT Hub is available as a free plan for evaluation purposes, a starter plan for smaller, entry-level scenarios, and a standard plan.
|Telemetry data processing|
|Event processing with guaranteed delivery|
|Event storage time||60 seconds||30 minutes||24 hours|
|Command & control message handling|
|Supported protocols||HTTP, MQTT||All supported protocols (HTTP, MQTT, LoRaWAN)||All supported protocols (HTTP, MQTT, LoRaWAN)|
|Device identity and credential management|
|Per-device authentication and authorization|
|Support for gateway based scenarios|
|Included number of messages||100,000||1,500,000||1,000,000,000|
|Included device connection time (minutes)||50,000||500,000||500,000,000|
|Additional capacity with a ‘pay-as-you-grow’ pricing|
|SLAs||No SLAs||SaaS Service Level Agreements||SaaS Service Level Agreements|
|Included support plan||Community-based support||Basic support||Basic support|
|Premium support (optional)||Contact us|
|Subscribe||Subscribe via AWS Marketplace||Subscribe via AWS Marketplace|