What is Bosch IoT Edge?
Bosch IoT Edge is an integrated set of tools and services that work together to connect diverse IoT devices locally and to the cloud, set communication between devices, and develop scalable IoT applications that bring together IoT device data processing and services where they can best optimize outcomes.
Bosch IoT Edge makes it possible to deploy cloud or custom logic on the device so enterprises can get more value out of diverse edge assets, process and act on IoT data right on the device, and manage devices from the cloud. Device manufacturers can tap new revenue streams with connected products and ensure the agile development of hardware and software.
Using Bosch IoT Edge, technology teams benefit from configurable and reusable building blocks that ensure the availability of platforms, require a minimum of integration work, and enable scalable applications.
Bosch IoT Gateway Software
As of version 10.2, Bosch IoT Gateway Software goes by the name of Bosch IoT Edge Services and is fully integrated with Bosch IoT Edge. Equipped with the former Bosch IoT Gateway Software’s feature set, Bosch IoT Edge Services may be deployed as a standard container.
- Lightweight – run on a wide range of platforms from small microcontrollers to powerful edge nodes to scale hardware and connect diverse devices with varying specifications and capabilities
- Containerized – develop applications using fit-for-purpose languages, scale applications selectively, reuse cloud applications without rewriting code, and access advanced edge functions
- Fully integrated – connect to Bosch IoT Suite and use digital twins, manage data and devices from the cloud with minimum customization, and prototype quickly
Bosch IoT Edge comprises two components:
- Bosch IoT Edge Agent provides the essential IoT enablement for an edge device: cloud connectivity, local messaging, software updates, and containers management. Bosch IoT Edge Agent is a modular native application that runs on the device. It is portable for a wide variety of device platforms, from small microcontrollers with Zephyr to powerful edge computing nodes.
- Bosch IoT Edge Services (formerly Bosch IoT Gateway Software) provides extended device connectivity and advanced edge services such as a history, statistics, a rules engine, and more – all including the tools necessary to build and deploy the right set of services for your device.
Essential IoT enablement at the edge
- Cloud connectivity via MQTT: Automatically connect devices to the cloud; send telemetry data and receive operations from the cloud; command and control devices; buffer messages during connection loss.
- Local messaging over MQTT: Develop loosely coupled event-driven applications that exchange messages over a local MQTT message broker.
- Containers management: Package applications into OCI containers to ensure better isolation, availability, reliability and dependency management; use most fit-for-purpose technology and frameworks for IoT applications.
- Software updates: Deploy and manage software components at the edge using the standard software management model; update and upgrade IoT devices and gateways; out-of-the-box updates for OCI containers and device firmware.
Extended device connectivity and advanced edge-computing capabilities
- Device connectivity via gateways: Connect diverse devices using different IoT protocols: Z-Wave, Zigbee, KNX, DECT ULE, IP cameras, ONVIF, Bluetooth LE, EEBus SPINE, EEBus SHIP, Home Connect, Modbus, UPnP, and BACnet.
- Uniform resource and device representation: Model connected devices and their functions, historical data, groups, and edge services; modeling approach at the edge compatible with the cloud using the Eclipse Vorto generator and importer.
- Local rules engine: Automatically trigger the execution of instruction flows (conditions and actions) to monitor and control various aspects of the edge.
- Local data storage and history: Configure your devices and automatically collect, store, manage, and transform device data.
- Analytics and AI enablement: Deploy and run analytical algorithms and machine learning models over IoT device data locally using standard containers and messaging.
- APIs on edge coherent with cloud: Manage connected IoT devices, IoT device data, and edge services using the Things MQTT API or Things HTTP API – locally or from the cloud.
Bosch IoT Edge is available in conjunction with Bosch IoT Suite for Asset Communication and Bosch IoT Suite for Device Management.
Bosch IoT Suite for Asset Communication
For large-scale ingestion of telemetry data and remote asset control, subscribe to a free plan of Bosch IoT Suite for Asset Communication with Bosch IoT Edge.